There’s no doubt that I am a sucker for sweet things, but I usually gravitate towards a yogurt bowl at the end of the long day! Unfortunately my favourite coconut yogurt that I usually buy at my local shop is sold out 90% of the time, so that leaves me yogurt-less at the end of the day (the worst way to end a day by the way). I’ve noticed over the years that a majority of the dairy-free yogurts available on the market are full of additives and sugar, so I decided one late Saturday night why the heck not make my own?
You could use this method for a ton of different nuts: almonds (make sure their skins are off), brazil nuts, etc. I would just make sure that whatever nut you decide on using is to make sure that they are raw and unsalted! It takes a day or two for the yogurt to ferment so I suggest that you plan your breakfast accordingly!
This tangy yogurt makes for the perfect yogurt bowl, topped on chilis, etc. You could also add berry compote, cacao, and pureed fruit for different flavours too.
I’m done with rambling on about this yogurt, now on to the freaking recipe!
Raw Cashew Probiotic Yogurt
- 1 1/4 Cup Raw Unsalted Cashews
- 1 Cup Filtered Water
- 3 Probiotic Capsules (powder)
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
In a high speed blender add the raw cashews, water, lemon juice, maple, and salt in. Blend for approximately 3 minutes or more until super smooth.
2. In a sterile mason jar add the cashew mixture and the powder of three probiotic pills (I use Renew Life or Genuine Health).
3. Stir the probiotics in using a wooden spoon.
4. Cover using a cheese cloth for 24-48 hrs depending on how tangy you like your yogurt, you will notice that bubbles have formed. Then cover and store in the fridge.
NOTE: When fermenting make sure your yogurt is kept in a warm environment.