DISCLAIMER: Everyone’s skin is different and what works for me might not work for you! Skincare is really an individual thing (as no skin is the same!), I’m just sharing what works for my skin. Additionally, this post is not sponsored by any of the following brands; I’m just sharing my favourite products!
Skincare is a wide topic and it can entail sooo many things, but for me I am a minimalist when it comes to my makeup and skincare. I am a true believer in that what we put on our skin is just as important as what we put in our bodies, therefore I aim to use non-toxic natural skincare products.
My skin is far from perfect, but it has significantly improved from when I was in high school. I have never had acne, but I did experience frequent breakouts in high school which resulted in me trying what seemed like 1000 products at the time, and they were not cheap products either. I had a seven step skincare program every night that was suggested by an aesthetician, but no matter how many products I tried I felt like I was wasting money and time which I became extremely discouraged.
After my stubborn high school eating days were over which consisted of fast-food and processed snacks something clicked in me and I started to realize that what we put in our bodies does effect our skin and from there I began to adopt a natural approach to skincare; trying to integrate organic and non-toxic products into my daily regime.
If I am going to be honest I had NO clue what constituted a natural product, and luckily last summer I went to Cap Beauty (now one of my fav stores) in New York, and I discussed my skin issues with the employees who recommended several gentle products for my skin type. If you are not familiar with Cap they are the queens of green beauty and they only sell natural skincare, adaptogens, snacks, and they are oh so known for their coconut butter (which by I can attest to and say that it’s the best I’ve ever had!). Since my encounter with Cap I have kept my skincare regime pretty minimalistic and have integrated even more non-toxic products into my life which I can’t wait to share with you! Not only does using more natural products benefit you but it can also benefit the environment. Since integrating natural products into my life I barely have breakouts, and last month when I was in Erewhon a lady behind me in the lineup asked what I used on my skin or if it was the food I ate, to which I replied both! I hope enjoy my list of my favourite products.
1. Facial Cleanser– Pai Camilla & Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser. I’ve been using this stuff for almost a year now! I go in with a big squirt of this stuff in the morning and at night with the muslin cloth and it’s extremely hydrating and gentle. It’s vegan, organic, and cruelty-free. It’s definitely one of my musts in the winter for keeping my skin hydrated.
2. Face Oil– Skin & Tonic Brit Beauty Oil. I wish I could say that I use a toner (and I probably should; but hey I’m a minimalist!). I love using this oil in the mornings after going in with my Pai cleanser, it’s not too heavy and perfectly hydrating. It’s organic (Soil Association approved), vegan, and cruelty-free.
3. Moisturizer– Pai Chamomile & Rosehip Calming Day Cream. I use this moisturizer in the day and night even though it says day cream. I really don’t like my products feeling too heavy on my face and I find this guy does just the trick light, moisturizing, and smells amazing!
4. Exfoliating– Odacite Green Ceremony Cleanser. If you know me you know I love my matcha lattes, and this product is made with matcha which is a major bonus in my books. It comes in a powder form to which you add water to. Like all the other products mentioned Odacite is 100% natural!
5. Deodorant– If you’re going to add one non-toxic product into your routine get rid of your drugstore deodorant and invest in a natural one. Most drugstore deodorants contain aluminium which is not very healthy to be putting on your lymph nodes. I use Lavanila Sport Luxe stick which you can get at almost any Sephora; it’s cruelty-free, made without parabens & silicone, and it actually works!
6. Shampoo & Conditioner– Bamford Botanic or Rahua. I LOVE Bamford spa products and I had the privilege to visit Daylesford farm in England where the founder Carol Bamford lives and has built a beautiful health and wellness organic brand. Bamford hair products leave my hair feeling incredibly soft and smelling amazing! I often switch my shampoo up though and I’ve recently been loving Rahua’s classic shampoo and conditioner; which is volumizing and softening.
7. Body Wash– Dr. Bronner’s Lavender Castile Soap. This is a multi-purpose soap that can be used to wash dishes, hair, as a cleaner and more. I dilute it and use it as my body was. It’s super cheap and smells so calming from the lavender, perfect if you like to shower before bed.
8. Body Lotion/Moisturizer– I use Kopari Coconut melt for my body and for my coconut hair masks. You can literally apply this product anywhere.
9. Toothpaste– Dr. Bronner’s All-in-One Cinnamon Toothpaste. Although the toothpaste is not super strong it does the job and is free of artificial colours, flavours, and preservatives. It’s also cruelty-free & organic. You can pick it up in most health food shops.