If I am being completely honest I never used to eat very healthy my diet used to consist of heavily processed foods and few fruits and veggies! I can’t imagine going back to the way I used to eat when I was growing up, and the one thing that was a staple in my diet was Kraft Dinner macaroni and cheese… I mean there’s literally a pack of powdered cheese in the box, how did I ever think that was natural?
Given that I now eat a lot healthier, I will shockingly admit that I do miss that creamy mac and cheese just a little bit! But fear not I have been making this butternut squash macaroni and cheese for a couple years now (how am I only sharing the recipe now?), and it’s pretty close to the “real” deal (aka KD). I hope you love it as much as I do, and yes macaroni and cheese is still a staple in my diet but it’s this recipe; healthy, easy, and creamy just how I like it! P.S. you can add in steamed broccoli for extra veggies if you dig it!
Butternut Mac & Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Raw cashews (soaked overnight)
- 2 Cups Cubed butternut squash
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 Cup Dairy-free unsweetened milk
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups Pasta (I used Banza)
Start by soaking your cashews overnight.
2. Steam the butternut squash until cooked through.
3. Start cooking the pasta by the package instructions.
4. Add the cooked butternut squash, cashews, garlic powder, mustard, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and dairy-free milk in a food processor.
5. Pulse until a smooth creamy consistency forms.
6. In a pan add the cheese sauce and pasta together to combine, and then serve!