I have to admit creating vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free baked goods comes with it’s challenges (I’ve probably had to throw out at least 20 batches of cookies in the past), but when you get it right it’s like the stars have aligned and you feel like Nigella Lawson or Christina Tosi from Milk Bar…. Although I’m certainly still not that good, I am incredibly proud of this recipe. THESE COOKIES ARE TO DIE FOR.
If you follow my Instagram stories you would have noticed that I put out a poll asking you lovelies if you prefer chewy or soft cookies and well as you guessed it chewy won… I have had this recipe in my head for a while now and decided to pursue it, I took out all my gluten-free flours, finest almond butter, and my favourite Chocolate – Hu Kitchen Salty….The results were incredible and I am too excited not to share these beauties with you until later this week, and I have proof that they are AMAZING as my sister and mom who are not vegan, gluten-free, or anything free devoured them; there were only a few left only two hours after coming out of the hot oven.
The almond butter and coconut oil help bind the cookies together and give them the chewiness that is an absolute dream, however if nut-free you could use sunflower seed butter! The coconut sugar gives that crisp golden cookie like LeVain Bakery’s cookies. You could make these paleo by using a flour like Bob’s Red Mill paleo baking flour.
Although these cookies are free-from well almost everything, they are the perfect Sunday treat to satisfy any sweet tooth! I am currently curled out one of the bad boys watching a new show called “The Good Place,” on Netflix (a bit strange but I kind of like it). Happy Sunday loves.
Chewy Salted Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1/4 Cup +1 tsp Coconut Oil (Room Temperature)
- 1/4 Cup Creamy Almond Butter
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 2 Flax Eggs (2 Tbsp ground flax + 6 Tbsp Water mixed together and let to set for 5 minutes)
- 1/4 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/4 Cup Gluten-free All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
- 2 Pinches Coarse Sea Salt
- 6 Squares Hu Kitchen Chocolate/Chocolate Bar of preference roughly chopped or 1/2 cup chocolate chips
In an electric mixer on medium speed cream the coconut oil, almond butter, and coconut sugar together for about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the flax eggs, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract in and continue to beat for about 2 minutes.
3. Slow down the mixer and add in the flours, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add in the chocolate chunks and beat until a dough forms.
5. Cover the dough in a bowl and set in the fridge overnight or for at least one hour.
6. After an hour take the dough out and preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
7. Allow the dough to come to room temperature for 25 minutes if one hour, and 45 if left overnight.
8. On a parchment paper lined cookie sheet scoop 1-2 Tbsp worth of dough making 12-14 cookies.
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes and allow to cool (they will be soft when they come out but will set within 30 minutes).