Keep the cookies coming (even after the holidays!). With the new year in the air everyone has caught the health kick bug from juicing to trying out the most insane/intense workouts to kick their butts into shape after the holidays… I have to say I’m not a huge one for New Year resolutions, but this year I am trying to set some boundaries for myself to live a more fulfilled and whole way of being; slowing down and taking more time out of my day for myself. Between school work, writing for the blog (which I love), owning two horses, and trying to cook up new creations constantly, it can get a bit overwhelming and exhausting.
I definitely have felt the negative effects of sleep deprivation and stress on my body in the past year; from loosing my appetite and weight along the way I am still trying to restore my health and wellness. I cannot stress (no pun intended) the importance of sleep on our brains and bodies, so get those 8 hours (at least), this means I’ve been hitting the hay around 10 PM every night.
I created these breakfast cookies so that I can roll out of bed a little later on those mornings where I didn’t get to bed so early so that I don’t have to worry about getting my morning fuel in when I’m in a bit of a time crunch. Usually, however if you were to come to my house around 7 AM on most mornings you will catch me stewing off a batch of porridge to wrap my hands around during the cold winter months (an amazing example of hygge). I have a Scottish background and I think that’s where my love for porridge stems from!
These babies are basically the closest thing you can get to porridge without all the work in the AM, packed full of healthy fats, grains, and perfectly sweetened with bananas and juicy dates; you could say I’m a bit in love with them at the moment- especially with school winding back up this time of the year. Just throw them in an air tight container and they will keep up to 5 days, additionally you could put some in the freezer to keep them longer. I would also HIGHLY recommend dipping them in some nut butter (cause ya girl is a huge nut butter fan, but you probably already knew that) 😀
Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies
- 1 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats (1/2 cup ground down into oat flour)
- 1/2 Cup Light Spelt Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ginger
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Heaped Tbsp Date Sugar/Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Dessicated Coconut
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Dates
- 1/4 Cup Natural Creamy Peanut Butter (Melted)
- 2 Ripe Bananas (Mashed)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (180 degrees C).
2. In a medium sized bowl mix together the rolled oats, oat flour, spelt, spices, dates, baking soda, salt, and coconut together until well mixed.
3. Stir in the melted peanut butter (I use the microwave to melt), smashed bananas, vanilla, and maple into the mix and stir until a sticky mixture forms.
4. On a lined baking sheet add one heaping tablespoon of dough and gently flatten with hands; making approximately 12 cookies.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through.
6. Allow to cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!