Up until about a month ago I never even tried an eggplant, I always wanted to but I never got around to experimenting with them! It dawned on me while I was in the produce section that I was going to give it a go, and lets just say I was not disappointed by my purchase at all. Since the day that I bought my first eggplant I’ve bought several and have created a recipe that is full of flavour which is also super easy and delicious. I used a ton of spices in this recipe to coat the eggplants in to ensure they were packed full of flavour, so even first time eggplant eaters like I once was are not let down by their new veggie experience. My golden rule to thriving on a plant-based/vegan diet is to season almost everything, thereby making every dish flavourful and enjoyable. Lets just say I don’t get excited when a tomato and iceberg lettuce salad is the only vegan option on the menu at a restaurant. Making dishes packed full of flavour is one of the many reasons I think that I have been able to stick to a plant-based lifestyle. In saying that though I do agree that the lifestyle is not for everyone, but my recipes are geared towards helping individuals who might be veg curious or just want to make healthier choices, and that’s okay all of our bodies and lifestyles are different! To end things off, I hope you have a great weekend and I will see you back here on Sunday (which includes a cool video)!
Turmeric and Chilli Roasted Eggplants
Prep Time: 15 Minutes || Cook Time: 45 Minutes || Total Time: 60 Minutes
What You Will Need:
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 crushed clove garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp za’atar seasoning
Spicy Mango Yogurt:
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened coconut yogurt (or use your favourite plain yogurt)
- 1 mango (diced into fine pieces)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cut the eggplants in half and cut about three large x’s in them starting at the top and working your way down.
- In a small bowl add the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and spices together mixing with a fork.
- Spread the seasoning over the eggplants by using about a heaping teaspoon worth and making sure they are coated.
- On a baking tray place the eggplants skin down and cook for 45 minutes.
- While the eggplants are cooking prepare the spicy mango yogurt.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the yogurt, chilli flakes, and mango together mixing to ensure that all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Once the eggplants are done allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Top with a drizzle of the spicy mango yogurt. You can also add cilantro & pomegranate seeds to give it an extra twist.