I know it’s hard to believe…a vegan BLT sandwich without the B. If you’re Canadian like I am, you’ll know that the cheapest place to get a BLT is at the famous Tim Hortons. After ditching meats and embarking on my plant-based journey I still missed this classic sandwich. I decided to curate a wholesome plant-based BLT sandwich using the natural ingredients in my kitchen. I am not going to lie, the coconut bacon does not taste quiet like bacon but it still gives the sandwich a tonne of flavour and I am sure you will not be disappointed! If you make any of the recipes please send them my way @emmamarieskitchen, or if you just want to share a delicious recipe my way I would be more than happy to see that too!
Enjoy & thanks for reading,
Makes: 1 Sandwich
What You Will Need:
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke**
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 slices of bread (I like to use sourdough, however use your favourite kind! Sandwich’s are supposed to be fun!)
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 tomato
- 2 tbsp hummus (you can use veganaise or regular mayo)
**I found liquid smoke in the international food section of my supermarket…But if you cannot you can purchase it here
- Start by making the coconut bacon!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a mixing bowl mix together the coconut flakes along with the tamari, liquid smoke, and maple syrup.
- Bake for 6 minutes constantly mixing about every 2 minutes to ensure that it doesn’t burn (and trust me it burns quickly!)
- Allow the coconut bacon to cool for 10 minutes.
- I like to toast my bread but this is a personal preference.
- Spread the hummus evenly on both slices of bread with a knife.
- Stick a small handful of bacon on each slice.
- Layer the tomato on one piece and the lettuce on the other.
- Assemble the sandwich together by placing the slices on top of one another. Enjoy!