Eating a healthy and balanced diet means treating yourself- it’s ok to have treats in your diet, and I have the most notorious sweet tooth! Whether you want to make healthier choices or incorporate healthier sweet options with no refined sugar is completely up to yourself! On another note, my first thing that I made that were vegan were caramel squares from an amazing app called Hippie Lane- they were seriously delicious! I recently decided to come up with my own raw caramel square recipe by using only natural ingredients. I made a batch of these guys for some of my mom’s friends and they devoured them… they are now waiting on the recipe so they can recreate them! I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you do end up making and of the recipes please send them my way @emmamarieskitchen or #emmamarieskitchen.
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Caramel Squares
Serves: 15 squares
Difficulty: A bit tricky
What You Will Need:
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 6 tsp natural peanut butter
- 2 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 7 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder (or 3 Tbsp cocoa powder)
- In a food processor pulse the cashews until they are blitzed up into small pieces.
- Add 1 cup of pitted dates, 2 teaspoons of maple syrup, and 2 teaspoons of peanut butter to the blitzed cashews and pulse until a sticky consistency forms.
- In a medium sized lined baking dish spread the base mixture evenly with a spatula.
- Freeze the base for 20 minutes.
- While the base is freezing make the caramel filling.
- In a food processor pulse together 1 1/2 cups pitted dates, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 teaspoons maple syrup, 2 teaspoons peanut butter, and 2 tablespoons of water for approximately two minutes or until a caramel sauce forms.
- Once the base has set, spread the caramel filling on top with a spatula and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Lastly, start making the chocolate topping by mixing together 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of cacao powder, 3 teaspoons of maple syrup, and 2 teaspoons peanut butter together in a small bowl with a spatula.
- Once the caramel has set, add the chocolate and smooth it out with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Freeze for 15 more minutes.
- Once all three layers have set cut the batch into 15 squares. Enjoy!